I think I could eat soup three times a day. What’s not to love about a one pot meal of goodness? I created this soup for Northeast Flavor Magazine’s website and wanted to share it with you guys as well. It’s a spicy, sweet, creamy and packed with protein from white beans. If you are watching your calories/fat then you use 1 tsp of coconut oil and light coconut milk instead of the full fat.
A tip about lite coconut milk: Buy a can of the full fat stuff, add it to a blender with a can full of water, broth or unflavored soymilk and blend. This way you get twice as much for the money. If I won’t be using the extra milk within a day or two I freeze it for future use.
My local Market Basket sells 3 lbs of sweet potatoes for $1.99 which usually gives me around 5 medium sized potatoes.
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 t coconut oil
- ¼ t cayenne (optional)
- 1 t ground cumin
- ½ t ground coriander
- ¼ t cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 T curry powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 cloves pressed garlic
- 2 T freshly grated ginger
- Healthy pinch of salt
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 4 c peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 c drained cannelini beans
- 2.5 c vegetable broth
- 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1-3 T Siracha Chili Garlic Sauce
- Juice of 1-2 limes (around 3 T)
- ½ c cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste (between ½-1 t salt depending on how salty your broth is)
- Garnish with sour cream or yogurt and more siracha if desired
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot to medium, add oil and spices. Toast for 15 seconds
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger along with a pinch of salt. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Deglaze with balsamic vinegar and add the potatoes, beans, coconut milk and broth. Cover and bring to a strong simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are done
- Stir in Siracha and lime juice; Puree with an immersion blender or in 2 batches in a regular blender taking care to remove the plastic top piece and cover with a towel to avoid burning yourself
- Stir in cilantro, season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serves 4 ( 2 cup servings )
- Sweet Potato Mash
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Sweet and Spicy Dahl
- Italian Chickpeas, Sweet Potatoes and Greens
What’s your favorite way to enjoy sweet potatoes?